Monday, July 23, 2007

Why blog?

That's a question I have been asking myself for some time. Frankly, I don't know why I started this blog. I certainly did not, and do not, expect anyone to really care what I think about things. The traffic on this site is a testimony to that! LOL



I can tell some interesting stories, but have to be careful since I still sit occasionally. I plan to start doing that sort of thing shortly.



First, I want to get used to writing again. One can easily tell that I am out of practice...have not written a brief in over 30 years. Perhaps even then nobody will be interested. That's OK. It can just be fun for me and one or two of my friends.



Over the years, I have become convinced that blogs are important. Clearly, big money has forced the individual out of our politics at every level. Blogs can be the great leveller. Of course, blogs don't have editors, except for the blogoshere itself. My observation is that if someone with readerships blogs something, it is immediately fact checked by other bloggers. The same goes for the mainstream media. There are hundreds or thousands of bloggers out there that parse everything and comment upon it.



The vast number and diversity of bloggers does mean one has to be very careful at accepting what they say at face value. Care must be taken, because some will lie, misstate or misrepresent matters. The same is true of the mainstream media, unfortunately



It doesn't take too long to figure out who is honest, and who is not. If a blogger is to be read by many people, he or she must be honest and ethical. Whether one is on the Left, or the Right, or in the Center (what's that?) care should be taken to be honest and ethical or your blog will not be taken seriously except by those who do not want to be honest or ethical. There are some of those out there, of course.



The question remains: why blog? I don't know....but I will continue. For a while.

No comments: