Sunday, October 28, 2007

Character flaws

In my meanderings around the Internet today, I came across an article In US News and World Report entitled Reflections and Regrets. ( via RealClearPolitics )It is about Gerald Ford, his new book, and his relationship with Richard Nixon, and written by Thomas DeFranks. It is a very good article, and brought back memories of the times in the early 1970s. Most of those times were troubled, due in large part to Nixon's character.

It also has reminded me that for all of the criticism of him, Gerald Ford was an honest man. Those are very hard to find in Washington these days.

One of the paragraphs that stood out was, to me, descriptive of a number of our leading politicians, including the current occupant of the White House:

"....Stubborn. "I think now as I did then, that in the area of foreign policy, he was as good if not better than any president I've known. [But] he had a character flaw: where even when he made a mistake and knew it, he would not admit it. Why? That I've never known, Tom. It was a stubbornness, self-righteousness that was just a damn shame."(My emphasis)

This is a failure that gets a lot of our leaders. One would wish they would learn, but they won't.

Read the whole article. Its a good one.

No comments: